Villages at Mt. Hood
a Clackamas County Complete Communities Village
to become a
I. Activity Title: __Invasive Weed Eradication________________
II. Community Need/Rationale:
The trails and recreation areas of the forests and roads in the area are be infested with noxious, invasive weeds. Only by working as a community can we fight the tide of this problem. While everyone talks about the problem, it is seldom given high priority other than by a few dedicated individuals and groups.
The foci of the Activity
1. work with other groups on community outreach for motivation and setting expectations
2. organize "weed pulling" events
3. acquiring grants to hire groups to work on weed removal
III. Name of organization: Barlow Trail Association_____ Web site:_www.BarlowTrail.org__
1. Is the organization: incorporated? __XX__community group? ______informal group?____
2. Leader/coordinator name: __Susan Corwin____________________________
3. Leadership group members names:
Tom Anderson, Patti Smith, Don Mench, Barbara Saldivar, and the
other members of the Barlow Trail Association
IV. What is needed from Clackamas County (agency, resources, standing)?
Agency: applying for grants
Resources: county assistance on county lands
Standing: MOUs with ODOT, BLM, USFS, etc,
V. Summarize Activities and accomplishments to date.
1. area around Faubion homestead and Rd 3 has been cleared of Scotch Broom
2. area around Barlow Trail County Park has been cleared of Scotch Broom
3. area from Laurel Hill to Road 30 is cleared.
4. area between Fire Station and Salmon River Road is mostly cleared of Scotch Broom
by the Fire Station personnel.
5. the area on the north of the Welches School has been cleared of Scotch Broom.
6. some private land owners have been approached about the issue.
Additionally, other groups are working hard on the issue:
Nature Conservancy is working hard on Japanese Knotweed
=>this needs to be publicized to the community.
Sandy River Basin Council is working hard on invasive weeds.
What have YOU done to fight these alien invaders???
VI. How has the Activity been funded to date?
How will being "supported" change that
Increased community awareness will encourage property owners such as
Clackamas County, the Welches School, and others to deal with the issues on their property.
Use and maintenance of this donain and website is donated by
©2006 Mocha Express Commentaries, all rights reserved